[PLUG-TALK] Vitamin D and Depression

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Apr 12 23:23:46 UTC 2013

On Fri, Apr 12, 2013 at 03:45:40PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> I take a "mere" 15,000 IU of D-3 weekly.  Still tinkering with
> the dose.   I don't need expensive pee or an increased load of
> whatever impurities may find their way into the vitamin pills.
> I am also learning about the effects of my genotype on the
> absorption and use of various drugs and vitamins.  My LDL
> cholesterol is considered too high.  I have genes for poor
> conversion of LDL to HDL, which is why my liver compensates
> by making extra LDL.  Rather than stopping my body's natural
> response to a problem, I need to fix the problem by increasing
> the conversion rates.  Somehow.  Fixing is harder than breaking.

Bodies are amazing.  I read "Biochemical Individuality" by Roger J.
Williams a while ago, and it was shocking the level of individual variation
they were aware of even in 1956.  Williams' work has largely been ignored,
AFAIK.  Though I had a chat at Oscon about nutritional variation with the
gal who runs bodytrack.org--they're trying to work on some of that as well.

I've been lucky so far, and have access to exercise, as well as pastured
beef, pork and chicken (better Omega3:Omega6 ratio).

Heather just did 23andMe and is enjoying the results.  Given the recently-
discovered link between BRCA2 and prostate cancer, I might want to get my
SNPs snipped as well.

> And if you are Really Geeky, Chris Peterson arranges the annual
> Personalized Life Extension Conference,

Looks like that's moved online - http://healthactivator.com/
Interesting topics - Telomere protection? Sign me up!