[PLUG-TALK] Google Fiber now coming to Provo Utah

Daniel Hedlund daniel at digitree.org
Thu Apr 18 09:48:56 UTC 2013

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>wrote:

> This acceleration in announcements is a GoodThing.

https://fiber.google.com/about/

What I find interesting about Google's announcement to expand to Provo is
that they're purchasing existing fiber infrastructure instead of laying
their own.  I'm not really sure how I feel about this as the network
they're purchasing (not leasing) is municipal owned.  From their site:

"Today we announced that we hope to purchase iProvo, an existing
fiber-optic network owned by the city of Provo."

It also sounds like there are existing ISPs/tenants using some of the fiber
and that Google might reduce competition by eliminating their access to it
(note "for awhile"):

"I’m a Veracity customer - what does this mean for me?  You won’t
experience any immediate changes—you can continue to use your service as
you do today. If the deal is approved and the acquisition closes, you’ll
still be able to use your same service for awhile, and you would eventually
have the option of becoming a Google Fiber customer for a $30 activation
fee (plus applicable taxes)."

Does anyone know anything about the state of Provo's existing muni fiber,
they city's financial or bureaucratic situation or otherwise, that could
lead me to believe this acquisition has a medium or long-term
positive/altruistic impact on their community?  I would be very concerned
if Google starts reducing competition by buying out a lot of muni (or
otherwise shared) fiber, privatizing and monopolizing it in the process.