[PLUG-TALK] A Tablet For The Rest of Us

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Dec 16 22:10:50 UTC 2013

On Mon, Dec 16, 2013 at 11:17:39AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   Here's welcome news: Android tablets (7" screens) for $38-100.
>                         <http://tinyurl.com/n86x5wa>

The question is, how hackable and secure are they for our uses?
These seem to be tethered to a particular service.  OTOH, if we
/can/ hack them to use an open version of Android, or better yet,
the upcoming Firefox OS, I'll be on this like white on rice.

Related:  One of our clinic attendees, Chris, suggested that he
might present a talk about "Linux on Chromebook".  Subject to
schedule and permission from the spouse, of course.

So, they make the devices, we give them money and they retain
control of them -- until we take control of them.  Perhaps we
should invite a lawyer to talk about what we are permitted to
do with devices we've paid for, regardless of what agreements
we allegedly made when we purchased them.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com