[PLUG-TALK] recommendation for DIY electronics hardware?

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Wed Jan 23 03:41:43 UTC 2013

>>>>> "Daniel" == Daniel X Pape <dpape at dpape.com> writes:

Daniel> Aha, this might be my first problem. The first thing I'd like
Daniel> to try to fix is a USB power plug on an old Garmin GPS that
Daniel> only works if the cord is at just the right angle. I opened it
Daniel> up this afternoon and everything looks very tiny (I'm guessing
Daniel> this is what surface mount means). I can see that all the
Daniel> leads to the plug are broken (noted by arrows here:
Daniel> http://i.imgur.com/LcOK3gE.jpg ) Is what you are saying above
Daniel> about surface mount applicable in this case? i.e., it will
Daniel> probably be impossible for me to solder something this small?

Looks like you just need good magnification and a soldering iron.

Consider bringing it to a dorkbot meeting.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net