[PLUG-TALK] Obama: YES, WE SCAN!

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Jun 12 20:12:27 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 12, 2013 at 12:03:14PM -0700, Bill Ensley wrote:
> Well said.
>
> May we share this?
>
> -Bill Ensley
> www.bearprinting.com

Be my guest.  The original is at http://wiki.keithl.com/Spying

Provide a pointer to that and you can copy it, mash it up, add the
word NOT to every sentence, go wild!  If you invert the meaning, put
your own name on the result, but reference me as a dissenting voice.
Please don't spray paint it where I will be blamed.

-----

A constitutional amendment comes to mind:

   The United States government shall provide an annual data census
   quantifying every bit of information it conceals, and shall
   publically publish information about its employees and internal
   workings that exceed in bit volume and specificity the data it
   collects on American citizens.  Violation of this amendment is
   treason against the people of the United States.

We'll need a definition of bit volume, but the byte count of the
hashed compressed images of all their hard drives might do.
Information scientists will have a ball coming up with open source
programs that scan individual drives, trade hash data, and spit
out counts of secrets without exposing the secrets themselves.

Secrecy is a virus.