[PLUG-TALK] Job advice

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 29 22:16:38 UTC 2013

On Fri, 29 Mar 2013, Aaron Burt wrote:

> When do you tell an employer you're looking for another job?

Aaron,

   The normal range is 1-4 weeks. It depends on whether they need to find a
replacement for you or have you train someone.

> As the only sysadmin, it might be nice to give my employer extra time to
> find and train another one. It would also be nice to have their help
> prioritizing and winding down existing projects, and putting off new ones.

   Two weeks to one month. If you're not concerned that they would fire you
out of spite, go for one month. That shows respect for them and their needs
and allows you to leave with your head held high. From how you describe your
position I think they will appreciate the extra time and be willing to
recommend you to other employers. After all, you're not leaving because of
personality conflicts or corporate politics so there's no reason to cut them
off at the knees.

> On the other hand, I wonder if I just want to hear them beg me to stay. :)

   Perhaps a 20% raise would ease your lonliness. That can also be
ameleorated by networking with local SysAdmins over pints of microbrew.

> On the gripping hand, I'm sure there's good reasons people usually don't
> tell their employers until they hand in their 2-week notice.

   Yes, but not in your remote situation where there's no fear of being
spitefully fired for wanting to leave. Heck, they may consider themselves
lucky that you've stayed with them this long!

Good luck in finding a local, commuting job,