[PLUG-TALK] Introverts: "Quiet" by Susan Cain

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri May 3 16:51:27 UTC 2013

At last night's meeting about depression, I mentioned the book
"Quiet" by Susan Cain.  A well written discussion of introversion -
why it is good and how introverts can thrive in an extrovert-
dominated (dare I say "introvert-oppressing?") culture.  As
Yshai said last night, none of us is pure I or E.  We show
different behavior in different situations.

But some of us like quiet time to think (I) and others just
fidget (E) - we all need connection to others, but we connect
in different ways.  The book discusses ways to optimize the
connections between introverts and extroverts, in business,
love, and child rearing.  But instead of self-help formulas,
the book is packed with observations and study data that
introverts can use to reshape their world.

Introverts will read it cover to cover, understand themselves
and the world around them, and devise strategies to thrive.
Extroverts will read a few pages, get bored, and go skydiving.

http://www.addall.com/New/BestSeller.cgi?isbn=0307352153