[PLUG-TALK] topic of the day ... discuss!

Bill Barry bill at billbarry.org
Fri May 3 18:30:52 UTC 2013

I believe this is two separate debates wrongfully mixed up into one debate.
The same thing is happening with the global warming debate.

First there is the scientific debate.  Is it useful or harmful to put
fluoride into drinking water?
This debate should only be entered into if you know how to correctly
perform a scientific experiment or analyze someone else's scientific
experiment, or if you have a theory that you think can shed light on the
question.
This debate could rage on for hundreds of years as we understand more about
the human body and its complex interactions.

The second debate is a political debate.   Should the common supplier of
water  take your money and use it to fluoridate the water?
This debate should be entered into by everyone that has to drink from or
pay for that common water supply. The relevant question to be debated would
be given your current understanding of the scientific debate do you want
fluoride in your water.  Even if you think fluoride is good for you, do you
think your limited money could be better spent in ways that are even better
for you.  Is this enough of a common good that we should ignore individuals
who don't hold that opinion.

Occasionally people in the second debate wander into the first debate. They
are not really interested in objectively deciding whether or not fluoride
is harmful, they are trying to sway the direction of the scientific debate
to influence the political debate.  And of course you get the reverse
happening also, the scientists trying to use their credentials in the
scientific debate to sway the political debate. Both opinions should be
viewed warily.

Bill