[PLUG-TALK] Fwd: Newspapers and Fluoride

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Sat May 11 00:13:11 UTC 2013

>>>>> "glen" == glen  <gepr at ropella.name> writes:

Russell> So, you can well say "hey, can't we do better?" But the next
Russell> sentence should be: "here's a better way, look at how much
Russell> better it is!"  I haven't heard that second sentence.

glen> Heh, yeah, I know.  But we can level that criticism at
glen> _everything_.  Oh, you don't want me to shoot you in the foot?
glen> Well, come up with a reason for me to not shoot you! ;-)

I'm pretty sure I'd be motivated to come up with lots of reasons, in a
hurry!

glen> [...]

Russell> FWIW, I'm not particularly a proponent of fluoridation.
Russell> However, every thing I've looked at from the opponents of
Russell> fluoridation side seems to fall apart when you look closely.

glen> Yeah, and I don't particularly care one way or another.  I
glen> consume much more toxic and immediate poisons, on purpose, for
glen> fun.  I'm pretty sure I'll die of one of those before I die of
glen> complications due to too much flouride. ;-) I just hate to see
glen> all this ridiculous back and forth when people could be more
glen> productive instead.

Well, to me it's an opportunity to apply a certain kind of
truth-finding methodology.  Instead of just arguing back and forth
without hearing each other, ask questions, ask for *why* someone
thinks something, then look at the evidence they provide and try to
weigh the significance of it.  I find that pleasurable in itself.

FWIW, I have found the pro-fluoride people (to the degree I've heard
them) not as articulate and direct as I'd like on the justification
side.  They get wrapped up, perhaps justifiably, in debunking the
scary stories of the anti-fluoride side, and sometimes drift
regrettably into the ad hominem.  To me, the righteous should be able
to justify their righteousness at the drop of a hat.  On balance, I
think the pro-side has done a better job of that than the anti-side.

To those who think dark forces (fluoride lobbyists?) are trying to jam
this through and poison you against your will, remember, no one can
hide the truth from you.  The product is delivered directly to your
sink.  If you don't trust the evil-doers, YOU CAN TEST IT YOURSELVES.
Physical reality is available to everyone.  Fluorine or arsenic atoms
don't know your looking and won't know to hide from you.  That's the
wonderful thing about science.  Equal protection is guaranteed.  As
Einstein once said: "The speed of light... it's not just a good idea,
it's the law!"

seniorr at aracnet.com