[PLUG-TALK] Smart power meters

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 17:09:11 UTC 2013

Yikes, this is getting complicated!  There are reports (
http://sagereports.com/smart-meter-rf/,
http://www.epri.com/abstracts/Pages/ProductAbstract.aspx?ProductId=000000000001021126)
which are at opposite ends of the controversy.  Issues such as
unpredictable duty cycles of the transmissions, effects of unpredictable
reflections on exposure, and finally debates about non-thermal biological
effects of non-ionizing radiation make coming to any reasonable conclusion
difficult if not impossible.

One of the reports mentions the future use of rf transmitters in electrical
appliances to send power use information to the smart meters.  This is news
to me.  Do modern appliances have such things?  I guess I am a Luddite.

Normally I would want to err on the side of caution.  I rarely use a cell
phone, I removed our wireless home phone, but still use a wireless router
(convenience v.s. caution conflict).  There is a smart meter on my house.
 What to do?  And what to tell my relative?

-Denis