[PLUG-TALK] A Map of Who's Got the Best (and Worst) Internet Connections in America

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Sep 8 07:10:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:59:37PM -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:

> http://gizmodo.com/americas-internet-inequality-a-map-of-whos-got-the-b-1057686215

Try clicking around on the map, and tell me if you believe in some
of those high speed numbers.  For example, Tillamook comes in at
29.70 Mbps.  I'm guessing much depends on the connectivity and
response of the test points chosen by Internet Speed Test.

Five tests of Internet Speed Test to Opus Internet from my Beaverton
FIOS connection results in 15.2 to 16.6 Mbps to Portland's Opus
Internet.  Tests to Vanir (microwave link) near Tillamook is 13.6
to 14.8 Mbps.  Much depends on the server, it seems, and the
really high bandwidth sites - Easystreet near my house, Hurricane
Electric in Fremont - don't offer Internet Speed Test.

IMHO, what matters is what you can get compared to what you want.
I'm betting most people most places would be glad to get > 5Mbps
for internet, and want more speed to get TV.  I do geeky stuff
like "firefox --no-remote" on computers at PSU - that's slow -
but the speed is affected more by hops and peering (through
Seattle!) than by my internet connection.