[PLUG-TALK] A Map of Who's Got the Best (and Worst) Internet Connections in America

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Sep 8 13:47:48 UTC 2013

On 09/08/2013 12:10 AM, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 06, 2013 at 10:59:37PM -0700, Galen Seitz wrote:
>> http://gizmodo.com/americas-internet-inequality-a-map-of-whos-got-the-b-1057686215
> Try clicking around on the map, and tell me if you believe in some
> of those high speed numbers.  For example, Tillamook comes in at
> 29.70 Mbps.  I'm guessing much depends on the connectivity and
> response of the test points chosen by Internet Speed Test.

Charter is the cable company for a lot of rural America. They claim to
have 30 Mbps.

> Five tests of Internet Speed Test to Opus Internet from my Beaverton
> FIOS connection results in 15.2 to 16.6 Mbps to Portland's Opus
> Internet.  Tests to Vanir (microwave link) near Tillamook is 13.6
> to 14.8 Mbps.  Much depends on the server, it seems, and the
> really high bandwidth sites - Easystreet near my house, Hurricane
> Electric in Fremont - don't offer Internet Speed Test.

It's 6:30 on Sunday morning, so that may influence things a bit, but ...

Using speedtest.net through Firefox on my Comcast connection I got:

Ping: 19 ms; Download Speed: 30.96 Mbps; Upload Speed: 5.77 Mbps.

They plug Google Chrome as being faster, so I ran the test again on
using through Chromium and got:

Ping: 15 ms; Download Speed: 23.44 Mbps; Upload Speed: 5.80 Mbps.

Just to be sure the lower results through Chromium weren't related to
the several minutes between the tests, I ran the test again right away
through Firefox and got:

Ping: 18 ms; Download Speed: 31.02 Mbps; Upload Speed: 5.75 Mbps.

Maybe Chrome on that other OS might be faster than Firefox on that OS,
but Firefox wins on Ubuntu 12.04.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens