[PLUG-TALK] Anybody need greenhouse glass?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Sep 12 05:57:49 UTC 2013

I finally started to restore the old 400 ft² glass and cedar
greenhouse on the West Slope property we bought, and there is
just too much rotted wood.  We would need to do a complete
redesign and rebuild, and painting the wood and cleaning/repairing
the glass every decade or two is too much work.  The current
single-pane design (even if rebuilt) has low R value and leaks
like a sieve.  It would require much natural gas to keep warm.

So, instead I will use 1.25 inch schedule 40 PVC pipe hoops and
plastic - the Solexx material (made in Salem) looks good for 20
years.  It seals better, and has a higher R value, so we can
hopefully do our spring starts with solar heat only.

But there is about 500 square feet of usable glass in the old
greenhouse - mostly 16x18 inch sheets, some 16x20, some smaller
bits.  0.095 inch thick.  There was about 900 square feet of
glass, including a box of spares, but much broke during removal,
mostly because of very hard caulk.

Does anyone need greenhouse glass, perhaps replacement panes for
your own existing glass greenhouse?  You will need good transport
boxes, this glass is HEAVY.  I haven't taken out all the glass
yet.  If you want all of it for free, do the rest of the removal,
otherwise I'll ask for some payment.