[PLUG-TALK] Sign the petition: Turn back McCutcheon (fwd)

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Wed Apr 16 10:54:22 PDT 2014

On Wed, 16 Apr 2014, glen wrote:

> Maybe y'all can help me figure out what good these petitions do?  I can
> see that it might help people like Wyden judge how much public support
> they might get in pushing for new laws or an amendment. But does it do
> anything else?

   That's the purpose. When a politician sees evidence of a large amount of
public support for a bill it becomes easier to support it. After all, we
know people in other states so there are votes at stake, and that's all a
politician cares about. Well, 'campaign contributions', too.

> Am I wrong?

   Shrug. If it gives Wyden support to push the bill through, that's a good
thing. If not, nothing's lost.