[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] a RANT, was Re: Ubuntu Long Term Support? - Standards

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Tue Aug 5 19:30:03 UTC 2014

On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 12:18:56PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2014 at 10:45:51AM -0700, Ronald Chmara wrote:
> > Nice rant.
> >
> > Unfortunately, the "self-indulgent, change-hypnotized, aspergers-crippled,
> > new-hardware junkies" are the ones *trying* to make things so users "can
>
> Q.E.D.
>
> In the real world, not the software one, vast change occurs behind
> standardized interfaces.  When I plug in a toaster, it works,
> regardless of whether the power comes from California or British
> Columbia, coal plant or solar cell.  The same toaster would have
> worked in 1930, and will work in 2030.  Interoperability and
> consistency permits modern civilization,

On this topic, from October 2003:
My ghetto blaster  now has non-functional  (ok, broken) speakers and
it is the only cassette deck in the house.  Before going to my car and
driving around to listen to the tape I decided to try and pipe from the
blaster into my PC and out.  It worked.  It worked even though I was
using a computer sound system with components manufactured in 2000,
a ghetto blaster from ~1983 and a stereo receiver/amplifier from the
mid 70s. Here's a diagram of the whole flow:

Tape from friend -> ghetto blaster -> line in on SB128PCI card -> mixing
software on PC -> 70s era receiver -> speakers -> ears -> enjoyment.

All the connecting wiring was done with mini din plugs. Without the
standards in the audio world I would have never been able to plug it
all together and have it work.  With the standards I was able to link
together physical devices that shared nothing except a common interface,
the mini din stereo jack.

PCs were unknown when the receiver was designed and built and not yet a
consumer item when the ghetto blaster was built. When the PC was built
they certainly weren't thinking about compatibility with 25 year old
consumer analog audio equipment.  It still worked.  And worked well.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity