[PLUG-TALK] Leaked Emails Reveal MPAA Plans To Pay Elected Officials To Attack Google

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Dec 19 19:48:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 19 Dec 2014, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Some corruption for your Friday morning.
> <https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20141212/12142629419/leaked-emails-reveal-mpaa-plans-to-pay-elected-officials-to-attack-google.shtml>

   I was going to post the URL to the NY Times article on plaintiffs' lawyers
conspiring with state attorneys general to sue companies so both make money
from the lawsuits. The techdirt.com articles gets this backwards; the
arrangements are not to drop lawsuits against companies, but to have the AGs
hire the plaintiff's attorneys to run the suit for (usually) 20% of the
take.

   Then there's the civil forfiture laws that police, cities, and states use
to take millions of dollars a year from drivers pulled over for valid (or
other) reasons.

   Makes me wonder if the extent of corruption in this country has actually
increased over the past few decades or if it's alway been this high but
we're just more aware of it now. Sigh.

Carpe weekend,