[PLUG-TALK] PDX to get Google Fibre

Pete Lancashire pete at petelancashire.com
Wed Feb 19 22:18:30 UTC 2014

They sure are, in their best tradition ....

>From Google

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/2014/02/how-communities-can-facilitate-fiber.html

*Institute “dig once” policies.* When private companies build fiber
networks, one of the biggest costs is stringing physical fiber lines
throughout an entire community, which requires either digging up streets
(to put fiber underground) or installing new utility poles (to string fiber
in the air). If localities want to attract fiber providers, they can help
to make this future construction much easier by instituting what’s called a
“dig once” policy. Every time the city does road maintenance or needs to
dig up streets to reach water or sewer pipes, they can install fiber
conduit while they’re already down there. Then, they can make that conduit
available for providers to lease and pull their fiber through. Not only is
this an attractive option to providers who save the time and expense of
digging, but it has the added benefit of reducing future disruption for
local citizens (who probably don’t want to deal with a future road closure
if it can be avoided).

My part of North Portland just had all their old sewers replaced, our
streets have been dug up for over a year. What to guess if there is conduit
laying next to those new pipes ?

-pete