[PLUG-TALK] PDX to get Google Fibre

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Thu Feb 20 16:45:19 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 08:11:21AM -0800, Russell Johnson wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2014, at 11:55 PM, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:
>

> > Naturally.  It doesn't require them to do anything.
> >
> > Like the expression "if you aren't paying for it, you are the
> > product", this is the kind of passive "someone else will solve the
> > problem" attitude that never solves the problem.
>

> So, if the city pays for it, it’s bad because it causes taxes to go up.

Not in Russel's or my world.
And not in reality.  Our taxes don't pay for water and sewer, user fees do.

> If private enterprise pays for it, it’s bad because that makes us the product.

That is Google's business model, collecting information on users to re-sell in the form
of targeted ads.

It's at the core of Amazon's business model too.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity