[PLUG-TALK] Top or bottom posting?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 23 05:37:06 PST 2014

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014, Denis Heidtmann wrote:

> Now I find considerable top posting here.

Dennis,

   This may be because folks write answers using their 'smart' phones with a
GUI mail reader and have no choice in the matter.

> I don't have a strong preference, but I do find the mixture of the two
> styles to be quite awkward.

   My preference is to rsspond like I do when I have a converstaion with
someone. That is, delete the extraneous text, quote the text to which I'm
responding, and write my answer just beneath that. This provides the context
for my response and makes communication clearer and more effective.

> Is it reasonable for us to settle on one style or the other?

   Think about this: when you read a response at the top of a message, how
frequently do you scan down (or page down) to the original message to get
the context? If your eyes are constantly moving up and down the writer
failed at communicating efficiently and effectively.