[PLUG-TALK] Top or bottom posting?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu Jan 23 12:23:14 PST 2014

The problem with mixed top and bottom posting is that
as soon as there is a reply to a reply, it is difficult
to determine who said what, when.  I read top to bottom,
and prefer the conversational arrow of time to go that
way, too.

I endeavor to trim what I am quoting, fix spelling, and
add line wrap for clarification.  When attibution gets
confusing, I put the "At 635pm, Fred Foo said" above the
first of their quoted text, and sometimes change the
subsequent quote ">" characters to "Fred>".  Some mail
clients may do this automagically.

Occasionally, I write for mass audiences;  when 100,000
people may be reading what I write, saving one second
of reading time for all of them is worth a day of mine.
There are perhaps 50 people reading this post - I'm less
obsessive, but I don't want to develop sloppy habits.

It's about respect for the reader.  If someone shows
disrespect for my reading ease, I have less respect for
their opinion.

That said, almost every posting to this list is readable,
and most are carefully composed.  To all of you who take
the time to think about your readers, my thanks!

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com