[PLUG-TALK] uncharged mobiles will be confiscated

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 9 05:31:09 UTC 2014

http://tiny.cc/mobchg

If you are flying from overseas to the US and your laptop or mobile
is uncharged and won't turn on, it will be confiscated.

My take: A lithium battery IS chemically equivalent to a bomb,
shaped differently.  It seems possible to design a device resembling
a lithium battery that can explode violently.  The fake battery
could still provide just enough power to turn on for security, and
listen for a trigger command over the phone channel, so I'm not sure
what a turn-on requirement means beyond (possibly) forcing a
redesign.  Some terrorists are university-trained chemical engineers.

Thank you for watching this week's "Security Theater", sponsored
by the Department of Homeland Security, shredding the Constitution
since 2001.

Keith

PS: From the Times of India, the biggest English language newspaper
in the world, less provincial and biased than the New York Times,
though too much entertainment news.  My US/World RSS feed.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com