[PLUG-TALK] The corp. bull s**** wins ... or .. how not to fire 12K people

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Fri Jul 18 15:32:16 UTC 2014

On 07/18/2014 08:01 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Jul 2014, Pete Lancashire wrote:
>
>> http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2014/07/microsoft-lays-off-thousands-with-bad-memo.html
>     I did not see one sentence in there that was not a business or political
> cliche. I bet Microsoft has a large Department of Obfuscation as their
> communiations unit.
>
>     Wonder when this joker will announce his candidacy for President. He
> certainly has mastered the art of using thousands of words to say nothing.
>
>     Well, considering the source -- Microsoft -- this memo certainly fits
> their coporate culture developed over 35 years.

Which reminds me of ...

A helicopter was flying around above Seattle when an electrical
malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's electronic navigation and
communications equipment. Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot could
not determine the helicopter's position and course to fly to the
airport. The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, drew a
handwritten sign, and held it in the helicopter's window. The pilot's
sign said "WHERE AM I?" in large letters. People in the tall building
quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign and held it in a
building window. Their sign read: "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER." The pilot
smiled, waved, looked at her map, determined the course to steer to
SEATAC airport, and landed safely. After they were on the ground, the
co-pilot asked the pilot how the "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER" sign helped
determine their position. The pilot responded "I knew that had to be the
Microsoft building because, like their technical support, online help
and product documentation, the response they gave me was technically
correct, but completely useless."

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens