[PLUG-TALK] Cracking Attempts

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Tue Jun 3 01:47:22 UTC 2014

>>>>> "Rich" == Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> writes:

Rich> [...] I am not concerned, only curious why they keep trying
Rich> every day. [...]

They are trying different passwords, presumably, with a dictionary
attack.  Again presumably, their dictionary has more than a few
hundred passwords to try.  They haven't finished yet, so they keep
trying.  And, btw, we see lots of these, but never at a rate that is
likely to actually hit a valid password within my lifetime.  We also
have an auto-plonker rule that triggers after N connection attempts
per M seconds.  And the connections I see haven't been from China
specifically afaict, any old botnet will do.

Also, supposing for a moment they are Chinese, they may be dissidents
just looking for some way of evading the Great Firewall to reach the
enlightened West.  Be careful you aren't inadvertently aiding and
abetting the Commie thought-police!  If you want to show solidarity
with the enslaved peoples of the world, you may be doing it wrong.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net