[PLUG-TALK] Facebook Users As Lab Rats

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Jun 30 22:26:59 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:01:19AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I'm glad that I don't have a facebook page:
>
> <http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2014/06/30/326923945/lab-rats-one-and-all-that-unsettling-facebook-experiment>

If you are getting it for free, you are the product.

How do you like your cage, how does your free mouse
chow taste, what are they doing over on that lab bench
with the scalpels, and where's our neighbor, Squeeky?

Back in the day, a bunch of us got Safeway Club cards.
Under assumed names.  We traded the cards frequently at
parties and conventions, and generated outrageous buying
patterns - steaks one day, soyburgers the next, on the
opposite coast.  The trick is to keep a straight face
when the cashier says "Thank you, Mr ... er ... ah ...
Cyberpunki!"

Years later, the trick was to buy Rush Limbaugh and gay
leather porn in the same order from Amazon.  Drove the
recommendation system batty.

Let's create and share some Facebook accounts, and
confuse the hell out of the marketers getting Facebook's
data.  Is Eliza (the program) on Facebook yet?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com