[PLUG-TALK] Facebook Users As Lab Rats

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 30 23:41:51 UTC 2014

On Mon, 30 Jun 2014, Paul Heinlein wrote:

> Since I frequent Facebook (both voluntarily to keep in touch with lots of
> out-of-town folks and somewhat involuntarily to receive updates for some
> activities in which I participate), I'll chime in.

   Thanks for your perspective, Paul. I appreciate learning a new take on
Facebook.

   I've had no compelling (or even non-compelling) reason to use Facebook.
Telephone conversations and e-mail messages work well for me.

   However, I have been a (free) subscriber to LinkedIn since a client asked
me to join back in 1994. I'm very careful to limit the information in my
profile to what is relevant to my business. I find it amusing that despite
playing the LinkedIn game (posting comments in groups, responding to
comments, endorsing and recommending connected folks, etc.) I've had
absolutely no business from my membership in the 20 years. Oh, well. It
seems pretty harmless to me; at least, I've not seen an abuse reports on it.
And the LinkedIn folks change the UI and other features on a fairly regular
basis, so I guess that's common in the social software industry.

Carpe holiday,