[PLUG-TALK] Docs for houses - was Online voting ...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Mon Mar 3 05:16:19 UTC 2014

On Sun, Mar 02, 2014 at 07:52:30PM -0800, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> program the thermostat. I had left the owners' manual with them, but
> they had lost it. I inquired if they had a computer and an internet
> connection, but they had neither. I had to go home, download the
> owners' manual from Honeywell, and drive back to the house to give it
> to them.

Obsessive that I am, I created an intranet wiki for our house.  We
store house-related data on it, PDFs of manuals, links to part sites,
CAD drawings, and notes about how stuff works.  It is a small chore
to add to, but saves a lot of time for subsequent repairs, refills,
etc.  This can be vital when something breaks and needs fixing Right
Now Only.  Note - keep docs for wiki server and emergency generator
accessable and on paper ...

When we eventually sell the house, I expect most new houses will come
with this kind of digital documentation, and ours will be easier to
sell in that competitive market.

BTW, does anybody have a wide scanner that can scan and contrast-
enhance (or perhaps even generate DXF or SVG from) some yellowed
18x27 inch blueprints?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com