[PLUG-TALK] Places to get odd power supplies

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Thu May 8 19:59:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, 7 Nov 2012 07:28:19 -0800
John Jason Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> dijo:

>On Wed, 07 Nov 2012 04:55:55 -0800
>Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> dijo:

>>Galen> Just for your reference, if the original supply was completely
>>Galen> unavailable, I would try something like this.
>>
>>Galen> http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/D-120B/?qs=%2fha2pyFaduhesV8D0RIk1qT6PfaPfsPtjlbtgNU83RI%3d#spec
>>
>>Galen> This assumes 24V would be close enough, which may or may not be
>>Galen> true.  Thus the preference for the original supply.
>>
>>I have a crapton of Mean-Well 24V supplies from the MetroFi network.
>>Maybe you could combine that with a wall-wart 5V supply.
>
>In further Googling I find a lot of PC power supplies. I was all
>excited about substituting one of them until I discovered that they put
>out 5v and 12v instead of 5v and 26v. There's plenty of space inside
>the area to add multiple devices.
>
>Later this morning I plan to get out my star drivers and see if I can
>get the thing open.

It's been a long time, but I finally got around to removing it. It now
resides in the cardboard box that I always bring with me to the Clinic.
So at the next Clinic (May 18) those present can fiddle with it to see
if it can be repaired.

Cheapest price that I have found for an exact replacement is $125. That
is a ridiculous price for something that is no more complicated than a
desktop PC power supply. It's especially absurd considering that I can
buy an entire refurbished stacker (C4779A) from someone right in
Portland for $175 (eBay classifieds). So if it can't be repaired, I'll
just scrap the whole stacker.