[PLUG-TALK] Google Self-Driving Car

Russell Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Wed May 28 21:27:32 UTC 2014

Sent from my iPhone

> On May 28, 2014, at 13:13, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
> arney County (will it recognize a cow standing
> in the middle of the road) or on a forest road under heavy vegetation or at
> the bottom of a draw where satellite visibility is problamatic. And, how
> good are they on black ice or a blizzard?

Heh, I have more issues with my GPS in downtown Portland than I ever do up around Mt Jefferson or Olallie Lake. I can't tell you the number of times it has to recalculate after exiting the vista ridge tunnel. That's not even that long of a tunnel.

As for recognizing objects in the road, cars are getting that capability now, even those of the non-self drive variety. They even self apply the brakes for you.

I'd suspect, given the right algorithm, they would be better and could navigate in slick conditions better than a human.

I don't necessarily like it, but it is coming, and eventually, humans will be taken off the duty roster when it comes to driving.

Those who believe in the technology, or at least those that pay congress enough, will guarantee that.

-Russ