[PLUG-TALK] Writer with great point about e-books

Brian Stanaland brian at stanaland.org
Sun Nov 16 19:21:14 PST 2014

Love this paragraph:

“But wait—you could still re­lease your book in EPUB [or some other open
e-book for­mat].” If you can show me an e-book for­mat that gives me the
same con­trol over ty­pog­ra­phy and lay­out that I can get in a web
browser, I’ll con­sider it. As far as I know, it doesn’t ex­ist. (If I’m
wrong, please con­tact <http://practicaltypography.com/contact.html> me.)

Right now all the text on that page is red. It's very difficult to read but
it's a font and color of my choosing. The web server / browser combo in no
way guarantees anything.

(Now to fix this hideous font!)

Brian

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 11:39 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>
> > I wonder if you contacted the author directly you might meet with some
> > success, or at least gain some understanding of his logic in his choices.
> > I suspect he was paid by the proprietary format's owner enough to offset
> > the loss, at least in his mind. Bribery is one tool used to corner a
> > market.
>
> Denis,
>
>    Not worth my time and effort. What's interesting is that he has an
> international audience but the proprietary e-book formats seem to be Made
> In
> The USA and I wonder how many of each flavor are sold in other countries.
>
> Rich

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert
Einstein