[PLUG-TALK] Fwd: [IP] Study: Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program

David Mandel dmandel at davidmandel.com
Sun Oct 12 03:54:39 UTC 2014

Fasting in an interesting topic in and of itself.  I don't see much in the
popular medical literature on the value or lack of value of fasting.
Indeed, this lack of discussion sort of leads one to conclude that modern
medicine doesn't put much value on fasting.

However, most religions have a lot of food rules and usually encourage some
sort of fasting from time to time, and have done this for thousands of
years.  (See  http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2001/02/Fasting-Chart.aspx or
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fasting)  This makes me wonder whether there
are hidden health and/or social benefits to fasting.

As a side note, I might mention that the Roman Catholic Church relaxed many
of it's fasting and abstinence rules during the Second Vatican Council in
the early 1960s, but prior to that one had to fast (in the Catholic sense
of the word) during much of Advent and Lent and one had to abstain from
meat every Friday all year long.  I remember these rules as a child and
truthfully, I rather miss them.  They forced a certain amount of creativity
into one's menu.  (I might weigh a little less if I still followed these
rules as well.)

You can still see this creativity in Jewish and Muslim food.

David