[PLUG-TALK] Fwd: [IP] Study: Reversal of cognitive decline: A novel therapeutic program

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Sun Oct 12 21:05:38 UTC 2014

On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 08:54:39PM -0700, David Mandel wrote:
> Fasting in an interesting topic in and of itself.  I don't see much in the
> popular medical literature on the value or lack of value of fasting.
> Indeed, this lack of discussion sort of leads one to conclude that modern
> medicine doesn't put much value on fasting.

Humans are omnivores - we have the biochemical machinery to do process
all sorts of wonky stuff arriving on a wildly unpredictable schedule,
also the machinery to get by without.   All that machinery is there,
idling, whether we use it or not.  It will solve the problem it is
made for whether that problem is occuring right now or not.
And THAT is a PROBLEM.

Best to give your body the varied biochemical puzzles it is designed
to solve through varied diet, varied schedule, varied exercise, varied
behavior.  Otherwise some of your molecules will make problems that
your other molecules may not be able to solve.

In his book "Antifragile", Nassim Nicholas Taleb points out that the
feasts and fasts and dietary restrictions of many religions mimic
these natural cycles.  He says that the food-related complexities
of Eastern Orthodox Christianity of his native Lebanon makes the
Catholics look tame.  Perhaps we ought to develop similar food rituals
around Linux - if we can't outsell Microsoft, we can outlive them!

("Hm - it is Tuesday, and the Julian Day number is prime.  That means
steamed kale and pop tarts for lunch!  Praise Linus!" )

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com