[PLUG-TALK] Job seeker advise?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 21 21:49:16 UTC 2015

On Fri, 21 Aug 2015, Mel Andres wrote:

> ... supporting EMC and NetApp remotely from my home office.

>  I would like a position as a Unix/Linux System Administrator, or
> related server hardware maintenance.
>
>  So, I am asking for advice on which certification path, or college
> courses would you recommend?

Mel,

   I'm not in the computer industry but can offer ideas based on almost 25
years of working for myself.

   First, how closely related are EMC and NetApp to SysAdmin of linux
systems? Can you translate your decade's worth of off-site experience -- all
of it, technical and otherwise -- to what an employer needs?

   Second, if you want to tinker with hardware how does some sort of
certification strengthen the value you bring to an employer?

   Third, your position in the job market means you need a well-thought-out
strategy. You're competing with kids 1/3rd your age; they're cheaper to
hire, but don't have your practical experience and (possibly) your work
ethic. Why do you think there are so many silverbacks (and silverheads)
working in the fast-food industry? In more serious businesses, the trend of
letting go older experienced workers for younger inexperienced ones is being
reversed as companies have learned what they've lost.

   My suggestion is to sit down and list all the benefits and values you
bring to a potential employer. Go well beyond the technical aspects because
those you can learn as you need them (which is, by itself, a valuable
benefit to an employer).

   Take your list (better yet, memorize it) and start attending networking
opportunities where potential employers and referrals to such congregate to
drink and exchange business cards (which you can print yourself from
LibreOffice). Dip your toes in the water and you'll have a much better sense
of how hot or cold it is, and that knowledge will guide your path from
there.

Good luck!