[PLUG-TALK] Job seeker advise?

aaron at bavariati.org aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Aug 21 22:57:19 UTC 2015

On 2015-08-21 13:36, Mel Andres wrote:
>   I haven't posted here for quite some time. I recently quit my job
> supporting EMC and NetApp remotely from my home office. After a
> decade
> or so, my Linux/Unix skills have atrophied somewhat. Also, I fear
> that
> technology has changed and I am out of touch.

1. http://calagator.org/ - Go to anything that looks interesting or is
Linux-related.  Network if you feel like it, or just show your face,
exercise your curiosity, and get a feel for the zeitgeist.  Join group
mailing lists.  (PDXDevOps gets some recruiter activity.)
2. What's hep: Docker (a nifty way to use process isolation), DevOps
(collaboration with programmers to make releases easier and more
frequent), Cloud (automated infrastructure and disposable servers),
Puppet/Chef/SaltStack (Systems Administration as programming.)
3. There's some contract and contingent work out there for folks with
Linux Skills.
4. If you feel like commuting to Intel, there's usually plenty of
contract work in network device testing and suchlike.  I enjoyed my time
there.  I went through EdgeLink, but there's better agencies.
5. There's tons of free training out there.  Ex:
http://lifehacker.com/5905835/top-10-highly-desired-skills-you-can-teach-yourself
6. Go mess with the AWS free usage tier.  Create and destroy lots of
services using the web interface and the command-line tools.  Make
guesses as to what folks might use them for.