[PLUG-TALK] Crude Oil Approaching 11-year Low

Russ Johnson russ at dimstar.net
Mon Dec 14 17:19:03 UTC 2015

> On Dec 14, 2015, at 06:54, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Dec 2015, Stephen Price wrote:
>>
>> 1) Prices are always higher here than further south because we're a longer
>> distance from major refineries.
>
>  A niece lives in Oakland, CA, where gasoline proces are higher than here.
> They're also higher in northern Nevada.

Mostly because of local taxes. Just the state tax on a gallon in California is 20 cents more. Oakland may also have a local tax, as Portland does.

>> 2) It takes a few months for price changes in oil to trickle down to the
>> pump.
>
>   True, but it takes no time for distributors and retailers to raise them
> when crude oil was _rumored_ to rise. :-)

No, it doesn't. Even though the prices we're seeing for a bbl of oil is probably the future price in 2017 or beyond.

>> That said, I just paid $2.159/gal on Saturday. Seems pretty low to me
>> already.
>
>   But was that what you were paying 7-11 years ago? :-)

According to this, we are at or near all time low prices for gas when adjusted for inflation.

http://inflationdata.com/articles/inflation-adjusted-prices/inflation-adjusted-gasoline-prices/

-Russ