[PLUG-TALK] [PLUG] Equation may p0wn your hard drive

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Feb 20 13:51:34 UTC 2015

On Thu, 19 Feb 2015, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> There is no perfect security. All you can do is hope to make the cost of
> an exploit (implementation plus retribution) unaffordably high, while
> remembering that accumulating cleverness always wins in the end. That is
> why secrets (like credit cards, or passwords, or supposedly secure
> hardware) should always have an expiration date.

   This is equally true in the non-digital world. Back in the early
Pleistocene, when the Army taught me how to pick locks (and manipulate
padlocks) the first think we were taught is that _every_ lock can be
defeated and security is achieved only by making the time to defeat it
greater than the time it is unattended. Even the massive Sargent & Greenleaf
padlocks we used on our classified file cabinets could be opened if we were
given sufficient time (generally measured in hours).

   Thanks for the insights on digital security, Keith.