[PLUG-TALK] Ping [PONG]

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Fri Jan 9 22:33:12 UTC 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 05:34:45AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   It's been very noticeable here, too. I guess the spammers and their bots
> took vacation time during the holidays and came roaring back to work
> immediately after. It was nice for two weeks; virtually no spam past the
> filters.

Sorry - I apparently drove them away from my server to you guys.

 From about the 1st through the 4th, I was getting two or three
server exploit attempts per second, dozens of spams per minute.
My server load average reached 50 at one point, exhausting http
processes and memory, huge log files.

I blocked large IP address ranges with iptables.  Many blocks of
hundreds of consecutive addresses in China.  Also many "redirect
permanent"s to 127.0.0.1 in httpd for exploit strings, and a few
other tricks to get the load average below 1.  Still lots of crap
flying by, but less is sticking.  A lot of cleanup still to do,
with bigger storms on the horizon.

The internet is becoming a war zone.  At some point, somebody is
going to shoot back (with copper-jacketed lead) and all hell is
going to break loose.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com