[PLUG-TALK] Fans

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Jun 16 17:23:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, 16 Jun 2015 12:34:53 -0400 (EDT)
Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> dijo:

>On Mon, 15 Jun 2015, Larry Brigman wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised. I have three fans that we have used for years.  One
>> is a dual window fan with a thermostat. That one is in a plastic
>> case.  I do need to take them apart about every other year to clean
>> the blades.
>
>That's my experience too.
>
>John -- Is there any possibility that your fans are subject to a dirty
>power feed (spikes or brown-outs) and/or a lot more dust than usual?

First, I should have said that I am looking for a pedestal fan that
will blow air directly on me, not a window fan for ventilation.

As for dirty power, I know that the voltage in all outlets in the house
is right at 120. Averaging every couple of months I do have a very
brief power interruption; enough to kill the desktop computer, but the
clock in the kitchen range and the stereo survive it, hence it must be
very brief. I have never tested for Hz, but no other appliances have a
problem.

The problem with the fans is that they are not designed for the user to
oil them, and the "bearing" is just the shaft of the armature in steel.
Looking at reviews of fans online I see that I am not alone in my
complaint. The worst are the Lasko brand, which is about all the box
stores carry now.

I think I am going to order this one:

http://tinyurl.com/o77bwuf