[PLUG-TALK] Fastest coast-to-coast ping time?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu May 21 07:08:12 UTC 2015

What is the fastest measured coast-to-coast ping time?
Google and DuckDuckGo are being uncooperative;  they
want to tell me about airplanes and cars.

That definition is fuzzy - for example, ping time from
a fast data center in the Bay Area to a fast data center
in the Washington DC or New York area.

For example, I have a colocated server in a major data center
in Fremont, CA. Ping time to a friend's server in the DC west
beltway area, measured around 11 pm PDT, is 66 milliseconds.
The speed of light delay through a 3880 km great circle
optical fiber (prop speed 200,000 km/s) between those points
is 42 milliseconds.  A traceroute shows that 65 milliseconds
of the latency to my friend is one hop between:
   eqix.sv1.uunet.com
on the west coast, and
   Bundle-Ether100.WASHDC-LCR-21.verizon-gni.NET
on his end.

That is fast but I'm sure many links are faster.
Anything as low as 50 msec?  What is the record setter?

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com