[PLUG-TALK] Fastest coast-to-coast ping time?

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Thu May 21 14:35:07 UTC 2015

On Thu, 21 May 2015 00:08:12 -0700, in message
20150521070812.GA29977 at gate.kl-ic.com, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> What is the fastest measured coast-to-coast ping time?
> Google and DuckDuckGo are being uncooperative;  they
> want to tell me about airplanes and cars.
>
> That definition is fuzzy - for example, ping time from
> a fast data center in the Bay Area to a fast data center
> in the Washington DC or New York area.
>
> For example, I have a colocated server in a major data center
> in Fremont, CA. Ping time to a friend's server in the DC west
> beltway area, measured around 11 pm PDT, is 66 milliseconds.
> The speed of light delay through a 3880 km great circle
> optical fiber (prop speed 200,000 km/s) between those points
> is 42 milliseconds.  A traceroute shows that 65 milliseconds
> of the latency to my friend is one hop between:
>    eqix.sv1.uunet.com
> on the west coast, and
>    Bundle-Ether100.WASHDC-LCR-21.verizon-gni.NET
> on his end.
>
> That is fast but I'm sure many links are faster.
> Anything as low as 50 msec?  What is the record setter?
>
> Keith

Hi Keith,

You might want to look at this link:

    <https://serverfault.com/questions/137348/how-much-network-latency-is-typical-for-east-west-coast-usa>

I got this from Startpage with "coast-to-coast ping time" (less
the quotes) as my search term.  Just about the first hit; the top
three were ads.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
"Who cares if it doesn't do anything?  It was made with our new
Triple-Iso-Bifurcated-Krypton-Gate-MOS process ..."