[PLUG-TALK] Self-flattening pedestrians are here!

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Thu May 28 02:03:38 UTC 2015

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 06:39:23PM -0400, Paul Heinlein wrote:
> On Wed, 27 May 2015, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
>
> >http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/selfparking-volvo-plows-into-journalists-after-owner-neglects-to-pay-for-extra-feature-that-stops-cars-crashing-into-people-10277203.html
> >
> >http://tinyurl.com/flatped
>
> Given a legal environment where 95% of auto-on-auto collisions get
> adjudicated by someone (insurance companies, law enforcement), while
> auto-on-pedestrian collisions are frequently ignored, this makes a
> perverse sort of sense.
> http://www.streetsblog.org/2013/01/31/nypd-15465-pedestrians-and-cyclists-injured-155-killed-in-traffic-in-2012/

Imagine if pedestrians wore a magic device that sensed if they had
just been killed by a car - and it killed the driver of the car.
I imagine such automatic retaliation would be considered a heinous
crime, and people wearing such devices would be prosecuted.

I also don't think the device would be right.  This is a thought
experiment to test moral boundaries, and I think I fail this test.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com