[PLUG-TALK] Another Intellectual Property Issue - Cars

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Sep 13 23:32:05 UTC 2015

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015, Dick Steffens wrote:

> I hadn't heard of this one before today. Automakers are trying to get an
> interpretation of DMCA that make tinkering with your car a copyright
> violation.

   I suppose that if the carmakers prevail they can then be sued when someone
hacks their on-board ECUs and causes vehicles to malfunction or crash. A few
multimillion dollar awards for that, plus a requirement that all vulnerable
vehicles be parked until the vulnerabilities are fixed (with the
manufacturer paying for replacement vehicles), will cool their enthusiasm.

   Greed and stupidity will always be with us.