[PLUG-TALK] The Future of The Internet of Things

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Sep 21 13:27:24 UTC 2015

   Those concerned about the hyped 'Internet of Things' should read Brian
Krebs' blog post of today: "Inside Target Corp., Days After 2013 Breach."
<http://www.krebsonsecurity.com/>

   It's interesting how poorly passwords were created and managed and how
many Microsoft SQL Server vulnerabilities and mis-configurations were
exploited by the hired Verizon consultants.

   My house has a wireless remotely read electrical meter that PGE installed
several years ago. I would not be surprised to wake up one day to no
electricity because someone cracked the PGE network and shut off all of us
just for giggles. It's disappointing to see how little we've learned over
the past decades about the vulnerability of highly complex systems and the
fact that there will always be someone(s) seeking to take advantage of that
complexity.