[PLUG-TALK] Happy Birthday song copyright voided

Keith Lofstrom keithl at gate.kl-ic.com
Wed Sep 23 19:22:14 UTC 2015

Warner Chappell Music claimed a copyright to the "happy birthday
song" based on a long chain of claims dating back to a third
party copyright registration in 1935, and the song's creation in
the previous century.  Warner has been collecting millions a year
for professional performances of "Happy Birthday".

On Tuesday, a judge ruled that the song is public domain.  Next,
a class action lawsuit to recover some of those fees.

http://variety.com/2015/biz/news/happy-birthday-song-public-domain-copyright-1201600319/
http://tiny.cc/hbty
http://xkcd.com/1581/

Now - let's see if we can free Martin Luther King's "I have a
dream" speech, now available only for huge royalties paid to
his son.  If Dr. King had not been assassinated, he might
still be alive.  My guess is that he would be more interested
in supporting the movement he created with his oratory, rather
than the greedy child he created with his wife.

Then, we dress up like Indians and throw a bunch of Disney DVDs
into Boston Harbor.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com