[PLUG-TALK] Debit card fraud

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sat Sep 26 15:15:19 UTC 2015

On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 10:42:44PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> Depends on the problem needing solving.  My bank issued a new
> chip-and-pin card to replace my old stripe card - before I
> activated it, I looked at the enabling legislation.  If I
> read that correctly, the legislation assumes the new cards
> are perfectly secure and thus any irregularities are the
> fault of user, the bank is no longer responsible.

It actually puts the merchant on the hook, not the end user.
Having said that, some unauthorized person used a cloned copy of
one of my cards at a Tacoma Home Depot. The issuer (not my employer!!)
is saying that in absence of a card being lost or stolen I'm
responsible.  Discussions are continuing.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity