[PLUG-TALK] Debit card fraud

Denis Heidtmann denis.heidtmann at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:21:37 UTC 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Michael Rasmussen <michael at jamhome.us>
wrote:

> On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 08:49:16AM -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
> > On Sat, 26 Sep 2015, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > > The issuer (not my employer!!) is saying that in absence of a card
> being
> > > lost or stolen I'm responsible. Discussions are continuing.
> >
> >    Seems to me, Michael, that your card number was stolen. Doesn't that
> > count?
>
> It can. That's why discussions are continuing.
> However, there are items on the stripe that identify the card that won't be
> present if the card is forged just from the account num, exp date, and CIC
> number.
> The issuer seems to think this was a legitimate copy of the card.
>

> --
>       Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon

If "those items" are known to the issuer to have been on the forged card,
then the scanning machine must have read "those items".  If the scanning
machine read those items, then the compromised machine which gleaned the
necessary information could have gleaned "those items" just as well as the
rest of the stuff.

Please let us know how the discussions go.

-Denis