[PLUG-TALK] Open-Source Restaurants

Aaron Burt aaron at bavariati.org
Fri Apr 29 17:38:48 UTC 2016

On 2016-04-29 08:29, Rich Shepard wrote:
> Chinese restaurants outside of China, and especially in the US, are the
> restaurant equivalent to linux while McDonald's and the other chains
> are the
> equivalent of Microsoft's Windows.

Interesting perspective.  I can see how the nature of immigrant
communities (somewhat insular because of social/language barriers, with
a strong ethic of information exchange and mutual support) would lead to
a similar result (emergent standardization.)  Same thing happened with
"Mexican", Thai, Vietnamese and "Teriyaki" (Korean?) restaurants.
It happened pretty early.  The Canton Grill by my house opened in 1943
as a standard-issue Chinese restaurant (same year my house was built)
and "Comidas Chinas" has a long history in Mexico.

Unrelated, my first thought was of how Gigantic Brewing publishes all
their recipes.  Home-brewing is very open-source-ish, but commercial
brewing less so.  I think Gigantic does that to flaunt their "never the
same beer twice" ethos.

More blather: my general neck of the woods (Montavilla and surrounds)
was mostly farmed by Japanese immigrants until the Internments.  Bought
my house from the estate of a dear old Japanese woman.  Don't know how
she and her husband had bought the place a few years after they were
released, but I have great admiration for them.