[PLUG-TALK] It's official - Google Fiber isn't coming to Portland

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Aug 16 06:44:36 UTC 2016

On Mon, Aug 15, 2016 at 11:49:47AM -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> http://www.wweek.com/news/2016/08/15/google-fiber-not-coming-to-portland/

As I read that, Google won't deploy any more fiber,
anywhere.  They plan to use less expensive high bandwidth
wireless instead.  When and if /that/ comes to Portland,
I expect Google will be welcomed with open arms.  Perhaps
with aggressive tree de-leafing.

Which could be fine; I expect not.  It could be another
form of "xfinity pollution", sucking up wifi bandwidth
that individuals would rather use for their own reasons.

Worst case, Google may use their radio network to spy on
the private networks - "Don't be evil, unless customers
for harvested data (NSA, etc.) pay you to be evil."

We already know that Google's Streetview mapping cars
snoop on the wifi networks that they pass.  I assume
that Google watches all the bits that go through their
subsidized fiber internet.

Another potential form of pollution that I'm not
particularly worried about is the health risks of more
ambient microwave power.  However, it is amusing that
People's Coop Grocery in southeast Portland refuses to
provide a microwave oven for customers, citing health
risks, yet offers free wifi - which emits vastly more
power than a shielded oven.  As does that 4G phone next
to your ear;  higher bandwidth requires higher power.

Ah, well.  "Politically correct" wouldn't be hip and
trendy if it was also scientifically correct.

Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com