[PLUG-TALK] Comcast putzes - the unasked question

Michael Rasmussen michael at jamhome.us
Sun Aug 21 19:13:30 UTC 2016

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 06:03:23PM -0700, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
> "Oh, you're not getting all the download bandwidth you're paying for because your modem is EOL."
> * Modem is a two year old (?) Motorola Surfboard 1621.

Turns out the modem is not EOL, just no longer being provisioned for people renting. Which makes
good sense. In stream upgrades are good for them to do.

However, no one asked "where are you doing your speedtest from?"

When I do it from my WiFi attached laptop - 30 to 40 Mbps is normal.
When I do it from the wired server (using speedtest-cli) then it's 98 to 113 Mbps - just as promised.

The root cause was the measuring point.

--
      Michael Rasmussen, Portland Oregon
    Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity