[PLUG-TALK] Google fiber is expensive for Google

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Aug 28 22:24:12 UTC 2016

>> This isn't surprising, wireline infrastructure is capital intensive.
>> The operational expenses are comparatively miniscule.  The idea that
>> they can get by with wireless instead is, i think, delusional.
>> Particulary in Portland, the trees will kill them.  I expect Google
>> to flounder around experimenting with wireless for a few years, and
>> then return to what actually works.

Michael> My surprise is that the costs associated with physical fiber
Michael> are well known.  This could not have been a surprise.

The physical installation costs are well-ish known, dealing with
municipalities and pole owners and working around existing
infrastructure are likely to be the surprises.  Sounds like a manager
got frustrated at slow progress and they are deciding to take a look at
another route.  Again, my guess is that they'll figure out that the
other route isn't any more attractive, in practice, and is ultimately a
dead end.

--
Russell Senior, President
russell at personaltelco.net