[PLUG-TALK] not software ... rising Fred Meyer grocery prices?

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 3 13:41:46 UTC 2016

On Sat, 3 Dec 2016, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> Fred Meyer is the largest full size grocery store near me, and I've bought
> groceries there for decades. In the last six months, I've watched prices
> on common food items go up 30%, and veggies and organics increasing 50%.

   Grocery prices have been rising across the board. Within a mile of my
house are Fred Meyer, Safeway, and Alberson's (the latter now owns Safeway).
Almost all my food shopping is at WinCo (2.25 miles away).

   This past week I was in Freddies for a minor purchase and noticed that in
their Deli department the price of cole slaw ($3.19/lb) was more than twice
that at WinCo ($1.49/lb) and their 'real' turkey ($9.00/lb) was half-again
as expensive as at WinCo ($6.00/lb.) I've seen prices rise on groceries,
produce, meats, and seafood over the past few months.

   I discovered WinCo (then called Waremart) in Pocatello, ID, when I moved
there in 1976 and, other than a miserable 3 years in Florida, it's been my
go-to supermarket ever since through name changes to Cub Foods to WinCo.
It's employee-owned and I've always had excellent selection, service, and
prices there. The Beaverton store is located at: 3025 SW Cedar Hills Blvd.